King of Glory is a Lutheran Community located in Tempe, Arizona, home of Arizona State University. Founded in 1970, our 600-member congregation has a strong history and spirit of deeply caring and being present for one another and the broader community. Our aim is to manifest the love and Lordship of Jesus Christ as a congregation and in our individual daily lives. Our church’s ministries reflect our commitment to this mission. We seek to:
- Provide services of worship at which the word of God is
- Provide the sacraments of Holy Baptism and Holy Communion.
- Witness to the reconciling Word of God in Christ by welcoming all people.
- Respond to human need, work for justice and peace, and care for the sick and suffering.
- Challenge, equip and support all members in carrying out their calling in their daily lives and in this congreg
- Motivate its members to provide financial support for this congregation’s ministries.
- Encourage ecumenical relationships with other congregations and ministries in our community.
As a congregation, King of Glory extends a wide, welcoming and inclusive presence. It is vitally important to our church that we foster and are seen as a community that extends the generous love of Christ. Currently affiliated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC), King of Glory is welcoming to all, regardless of race, culture, economic status, sexual orientation or social position.
Like many congregations, King of Glory faced the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic, which for a time necessitated a moratorium on in-person church attendance. We resolved to meet these challenges by conducting many of our ministries, including weekly worship services, online. Through video conferencing, telephone visits and weekly email updates, we maintained a strong schedule of ministry opportunities and a hopeful presence in each other’s lives. Post-pandemic, King of Glory is endeavoring to meet the challenge of how to “be the church” amid a changing and changed culture. Hope abounds here because of the presence of faith-filled people who have dedicated their lives to being lights in our world.
We are committed to building upon and strengthening our vision and exploring new ways of acting out that vision as a church. Current strengths include:
- Worship on Sundays at 8:00/10:30 that has traditional elements, but is versatile in a variety of creative expressions of faith through strong preaching, music, drama, prayer, and communion
- A quality and recently remodeled campus/facility
- A strong and talented staff (Associate Pastor, Music Director, Youth Pastor, Children and Family Ministries Director, and a dedicated support staff)
- Small but vibrant and growing ministries with children and youth. This is a crucial area of focus to our church going forward.
- Weekly Christian education programs for children and youth (Sundays) and weekly Bible studies for youth (Wednesdays)
- Plentiful opportunities for children and youth to gather throughout the week to grow their faith and socialize with their peers
- Large events/retreats throughout the year
- Opportunities for youth to serve the community
- A flourishing Pre-school
- Adult Education, small group Bible studies and fellowship opportunities
- Strong history of volunteerism and community outreach (Paz de Cristo, I-HELP, Social Justice Task Force, Habitat for Humanity)
- Pastoral care that is supported by a dedicated team of Stephen Ministers
- Prayer ministry
- Outstanding Music programs for all ages: Choristers & Chimes (grades 2-6), Youth Choir (grades 7-12), Sanctuary Choir, Glory Ringers, Joy Ringers, Guitar Ensemble, variety of vocal and instrumental solo and ensemble opportunities
King of Glory is currently being served by an Interim Senior Pastor who is working with leadership and staff to re-affirm and extend our congregation’s vision, goals and ministries during this time of change and transition, in preparation for the next leader who will be called by God to serve our church.
If you are interested in more information about applying for the position of Senior Pastor at KOG please read the complete church profile here: King of Glory Opportunity Profile